Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The mystery of negative mileage on a rental car

Been busy for a few days writing a text encryption tool even your grandma can use safely with almost no learning curve. Check it out at http://www.unchartedcharters.com/.

The generic madness of life in one of the so-called advanced civilizations hit a friend the other day.

Rental cars.

Need we say more?

We do, because no matter what you think about US rental car companies, they are wonderful compared to the German counterparts. Do not let yourself be fooled by the fact that the Germans have the same names as in the US.

Running a rental car business the German way means hassle for the customer. First because the Germans will record even microscopic scratch - but only if you point it out to them.
If you don't, you will be made to pay upon returning the vehicle. Because, at that point, the nonchalant German checker goes into overdrive. You can protest as much as you want, you lost.
Of course, they won't get them fixed but play the same game with the next customer.

This was not the issue our friend had. The friend had rented a car for two weeks and extended for another two. The extension was fast and easy, just a new two page contract, and done.

Upon return, five hours before the flight to the US, the rental car employee did the checks with the disinterested look that must be a required part of the uniform.
The checker got as far as the mileage check, looked, doubled back and said: I cannot take the car back, it has negative miles.

What do you mean, negative miles?

You have fewer miles on the odometer than when you received the car. That's highly irregular, I cannot take it back.

It's not my fault, is it?

I cannot calculate the mileage driven.

But I had a contract with unlimited miles!

I understand, but I cannot take it back.

What do you want me to do? Drive around until the miles match? My flight leaves in a few hours, I am getting upset.

Well, I guess, we made a mistake when we filled out the extension.

Listen, I will leave the keys with you, if you want it or not. When I get back home, I'll get a lawyer, and that's that. You can''t treat customers like that.

They took the car back, the friend flew home, and contacted a lawyer.

You may not have the same negative experiences with German car rentals. But here is a tip: Frankfurt, Main, airport has a reputation of being worse than others. Even off airport rentals there already seem to be a better.



No comments:

Post a Comment