Friday, August 23, 2013

The wife on the whiteboard

From our Weird Dreams series.

The other night, TheEditor had a dream: I was married, and the kids were not there, instead my wife was in her twenties, very strange.

She had had an accident, and I could not recall anything about it, not where nor how it happened. She had spent a month at the hospital with a broken arm and a broken leg, and now she was at home and could not walk. I wheeled her around the house, a bungalow with a great lawn and a white picket fence.

I cooked, did the laundry, the dishes, mopping -- something I never do in real life.

We passed the time watching old movies, playing board games, even backgammon, which I never enjoyed and really suck at. In the dream, I did fine.

One day, after going to the hospital for another x-ray, we were joking about the metal plates and screws, three plates, some ten screws. Man, the metal detectors at the airport would go wild!

She was out on the patio in the wheelchair, when I had an idea. We had bought a thirty by fifty inch magnetic whiteboard a few months earlier. It sat in the den in its original package. So I went, unpacked it and took it to the patio.

Honey, I said, she turned and grinned, and before you knew it the board was stuck to her leg.

Right at that moment, Patty pulled into the driveway and we could see her face first grow longer as her jaw dropped, then break into a huge grin.

That's when I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment