Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Delightfully dyslexic

Coming out as slightly dyslexic is not a big deal these days, said the K-landnews contributor with the dark secret.

If had to do all my writing on a typewriter, even the local cops might wonder about the guy who buys white-out correction fluid by the gallon. I'd have to leave the front door unlocked or install a revolving door so all the law enforcement agencies and state inspectors would not be too inconvenienced.
But the condition was never as bad as with other people I know. It has brought me some great, if dodgy, puns and some very questionable but funny quips.

The other day, for instance, I was researching for a long overdue article about the Queen's speech with 'annus horribilis', and lo and behold, I missed out on that second crucial 'n'. That led me straight to this most useful and delectable website http://edibleanus.com/index1.html.

Until recently, depending on the country, this could have landed me in some sort of dyslexic re-education facility, like Concatentation Camp or Guantanamera Bay. Today, it simply goes up on Blogger, and nobody thinks twice about it, or even once.

I know there are people who really suffer, but I am not the only one who feels lucky that computers with decent spell-checking became available when they did. Many people will think you are less intelligent than your peers, and that can be an awful realization. But your time will come, for example, I started a new job and they gave us a block of wood with a concave central channel and two metal spheres -- a business card holder as welcome gift. I put on a solemn expression, looked pensively at my manager and said: nice, Larry's brass balls.
Not necessarily smart but don't underestimate dyslexic cojones.

No comments:

Post a Comment