Thursday, January 17, 2013

Too much happiness can be bad for telecommuting

Is bad for telecommuting. From our behavior guidelines for telecommuters.

We have a contributor who is, without doubt, one of the pioneers of telecommuting. You don't have to believe us but the Wikipedia page about the Apple Macintosh shows the computer of our contributor right at the top of the page.

Here is the story by TC about how too much happiness can damage your reputation as a telecommuter.

I was working from my home office for an established client. The way they were organized meant I was dealing with an operations manager for overall administrative issues as well as specific project managers for each new project.

At the time of this incident, I had been working with those folks for quite a while to mutual satisfaction.

So, one Monday or Tuesday morning, the phone rings, and a new project manager (PM) introduces himself. He explains that he took over Client Y, and further that he wanted to have a little chat, get to know me, you know.

We had a great little conversation, and at the end, he asked me if I was on time for the next delivery on Friday morning. Yes, indeed, assured him, I would make that deadline easily.

We ended the call, having agreed we'd be in touch after the delivery.

A few minutes later, the phone rang, and it was the operations manager, who, incidentally, had been the person to recruit me for their company.

After some obligatory chit chat, she said, I'm calling because Rob [made up name for PM] came to see me a minute ago. Is there any problem with your Friday delivery?

I was stumped. Why?

She replied, Rob is worried because you seemed too carefree and happy on the phone.

He is worried because I am what? Look, I'll be done with this at least one day prior to delivery, I can assure you. Please, tell him not to worry.

She said something along the line of, Yes, I believe you, and I did tell him we have worked together on other projects, and you never missed a deadline. Please, understand that I felt I had to give you a call, he was soooo worried. He said, someone who is so relaxed does not come across as very focused and serious.

I see, well, just tell him I am a happy person by nature. I'll try to not appear too carefree in the future.

Needless to say, I made the deadline, their client was happy, and Rob and I became friends of sorts afterwards. To be honest, I did not change my style, although the constant nagging "what if this or that" goes wrong can really help your career in many companies.

TheEditor says: Make sure you do not appear too happy. And, for the love of it, make sure you are either dressed or that webcam is turned off.





No comments:

Post a Comment