Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hangover delight

From our who Would-Have-Thunk department.

The desk phone rang at 9 AM, and the receptionist informed the manager M. that Peter, one of M's team members, had just called to let them know he would be late on this Monday morning.

He said, he'll be in by noon, then she chuckled, he says he has a raging hangover.

M. thanked the receptionist, shook his head and continued his work. A short time later, M.'s boss stormed into the office.

Did reception call you to tell you Peter was going to be late because of a hangover? The man was fuming, a hangover! Late for work because of a hangover, imagine! I'll grab his sorry ass, and I'll tear him a new one!

M. said, I understand. But let me take care of that, he's my guy, I'll make sure it won't happen again.

The rest of the morning was uneventful.  Peter arrived at around noon as announced, with an apologetic smile on a still slightly greyish face.

The receptionist warned me that I had caused quite a stir, he added.

Yes, you could say that, M. responded. My boss came in here pretty upset, but I convinced him I'd take care of that.

I am sorry for getting hung over, Peter explained, and I wanted to let you know I'd come, but be late.

Okay, now, I need to tell you something. I really, really appreciate you not making excuses when you called. I value honesty, so please don't worry.  But other people around here have very different views. So, can we agree that next time, if there is a next time, you just tell them you don't feel well, had some bad seafood, or something. But you can still give me the real reason, okay?

The agreement made, M. told his own manager that he had had a pointed conversation with Peter, and that expectations were now clear.

What happened next, came as a surprise to M. The back story was that Peter had not been an easy person to work with, easily frustrated, withdrawn, not very flexible. In fact, M. considered Peter to be his most problematic employee.

Which made the transformation of Peter all the more spectacular. His demeanor changed so quickly and so thoroughly that the whole company of 150 people noticed. Post-hangover Peter was outgoing, friendly, and flexible, and became a joy to work with.

Several years later, long after their ways had parted, M. and Peter met again at a private function of a common acquaintance. They laughed about this singular incident, and Peter told M., you know, you are the best manager I've ever had.

As you can see, M. thinks of these events now and then.




No comments:

Post a Comment